Degree and Certificates Awarded
Surgical technologists work closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists and nurses in hospital operating rooms and outpatient surgery centers. The surgical technologist prepares the operating room for surgery, assures surgical equipment works properly, is stored correctly and assists the surgical team in ensuring the operating conditions are safe and sterile.
Characteristics of a successful surgical technologist include but are not limited to; take and follow direction under stressful, emergency situations, multitask with attention to detail and organization, work collaboratively as part of a team, stable temperament, responsible and caring.
Manual dexterity, physical stamina and the ability to move quickly are vital.
Students will sit for the NBSTSA national certification examination as part of the program. Successful completion of this examination allows program graduates to use the professional credentials CST, Certified Surgical Technologist.
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARCSTSA).
Additional steps are required for acceptance into this program beyond the standard MCC admissions application. This is a three semester program that begins in June and accepts approximately 18 students per class.
- Complete all required prerequisite courses.
- Download the program Application/Admission Packet found under Quick Links and follow the directions carefully. Be sure to note all of the program requirements.
- Apply for financial aid. The federal financial aid application (FAFSA) is also available online.
Program Application Deadline: February 15
You will be contacted within two weeks of the application deadline to let you know if you were accepted into the program. Students accepted into the program will work directly with the program coordinator to determine next steps. Students not accepted into the program should contact the Student Advising Department or the Health Science Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine next steps.